Taking your dog on a vacation can make for a fun trip, if planned carefully. Below are the top 10 tips to follow when traveling with your dog in a car.
1. Fill jugs of water with the water you give your dog everyday to help eliminate potential problems with diarreah.
2. Stop often to give your dog exercise. If you need to reach your destination at a certain time plan to leave 30-40 minutes early so that you have time to stop and let your dog go to the bathroom and stretch his or her legs.
3. If your dog tends to get car sick feed your dog after your trip in the car. If you will be traveling for a long period of time feed less than your normal meal.
4. It is not a good idea to allow your dog to ride in the car with his or her head out the window. It is possible for dirt particles and bugs to penetrate their ears, nose and mouth. If your car has childproof window locks it might be a good idea to lock the windows so your dog cannot accidentally open them.
5. Do not leave your dog unattended in the car unless it is a cool, cloudy day. Leave the windows open a little bit for fresh air. In warm, hot and humid weather your dog should never be left unattended with the car shut off.
6. It is best to keep your pet in a crate or strapped in with a pet seat belt for maximum safety.
7. Keep paper towels, doogie bags and wet clothes handy. It is also a good idea to bring a copy of your dog’s medical records.
8. Make sure your dog is secured by a leash before opening the car door.
9. If you need to stay in a hotel plan ahead to make sure the hotel you are staying at allows pets.
10. Make sure your pet is comfortable and stress free. Bring his or her favorite toys, treats and bed for when you arrive to your destination.