October is Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month! The best way to honor Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month is by adopting a shelter dog in the Saratoga Springs area, of course! Dogs can greatly improve your life by:
- Helping you get outside and exercise
- Helping with socialization
- Providing companionship for you and your family
- Providing protection from intruders
- Improving your mood and mental health
- Lowering your stress level
If now is not the right time to adopt a shelter dog, don’t worry, there are many ways you can still help! Here are a few things you can do to help make a difference:
- Consider fostering animals who are looking for homes
- Volunteer at a local shelter
- Make a donation to a local animal shelter, Friends of the Shelter group or other non-profit organization in the Saratoga Springs, NY area
- Contact the shelter and see if they have a wish/needs list. Many organizations can benefit from donated items like: Laundry detergent, paper towels, garbage bags, bath towels, dog food, toys, office supplies and much more!
- Post a status on your Facebook page with a link back to the adoption page on SaratogaDogLovers.com: “October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Save a life: Adopt a dog! Visit https://www.saratogadoglovers.com/guides/adoption/ for a full list of animal shelters and non-profit organizations that you can help out in the area!”
- Pass on an understanding of the importance of pet adoption to the next generation. Talk to your kids, nieces, nephews, grandchildren and other up-and-comers about animal shelters and why Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month, and pet adoption in general, is important.
In whatever way you can, pledge to do your part for Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog month!