Saratoga Dog Lovers business spotlight interview with Tim Pink, owner of Saratoga Dog Walkers! Saratoga Dog Walkers provides dog walking, pet sitting, boarding and training services in and around Saratoga Springs, NY!
1. Describe your businesses services?
Saratoga Dog Walkers is a professional dog walking service offering pack or private dog walks, pet sitting, boarding, and training. We currently serve from Wilton to Ballston Spa.
2. How long has Saratoga Dog Walker been in business?
Tim Pink started Saratoga Dog Walker, LLC in 2011 shortly after getting a puppy. He was spending so much time walking, training, and socializing his puppy so when he began looking for a career change and realized if he got a 9-5 job that he would need to hire a dog walker to help out with his puppy, and the rest is history.
3. What is unique about your business?
I think our new logo sums up what we represent which is loose leashes (all of our walks are loose leash), and calm, happy, balanced dogs. We are dog-loving professionals who put safety first while we exercise your dog’s body and mind. We know that every dog we see is unique in their needs and personalities, and we take pride in exceeding both our 4 and 2-legged clients expectations.
4. Do you offer any special discounts or promotions? Do you offer any refer a friend programs?
Yes! We offer a discount for using us on a daily (M-F) basis which is great for dog owners with a 9-5 job. We also offer $20 for any friend or neighbors dog that you refer to us.
5. What is one piece of advice you would give a pet owner looking to hire a dog walker/pet sitter?
Make sure they are insured and bonded. Verify their business standing. Make sure they are experienced. Ask about these questions:
- What are your techniques and processes for walking? We use as much body language communication as possible along with corrections and exercises which are designed to build our relationship with each dog and our walks are loose leash.
- What types of corrections and collars do you use? If they insist on, or even like, prong or choke collars than find a different dog walker. These collars have a purpose for some dogs but are largely overused, misused, and unnecessary.
- How will my dog be transported? We have a utility van with crates inside for our pack walks. I’ve heard many horror stories about dogs left loose, leashed, and/or together in cars.
- How will my key be labeled and stored? Our keys are labeled only with your dogs name incase it were to ever get lost (which our insurance covers).
- Do you have other dogs in the neighborhood? We will be happy to tell you about our dogs that live nearby!
6. Can you accommodate special needs? For example, would a walker be able to take an unsocialized dog alone at first and gradually introduce them to a pack?
Yes! We have worked with many dogs with special needs including physically disabled dogs, aggressive dogs, reactive dogs, puppy needs, and elderly needs dogs. We know that every dog is different and needs to be treated as such. We are ready, willing, and able to help with any dog, no matter his/her condition.
7. What is your favorite place to walk client’s dogs?
My personal favorite is walking dogs down Broadway. It’s always a great opportunity for socialization for the dogs (by socialization I don’t mean meeting other dogs outside of the Saratoga Dog Walkers family; rather, experiencing the scents, sights, and sounds that Broadway has to offer), and it’s always great to see the smiles on everyone’s faces when they see happy dogs.
8. Do you own dogs? If yes how many and what breeds?
Of course! I have a 4 year old Doberman named Bluff, who can be seen on most of my walks around town and on our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/SaratogaDogWalker. I like to think that he has more friends than any other dog in town!
9. What do you love most about your job?
- I love waking up every day knowing I get to do what I love.
- I love never having a case of the Mondays.
- I love the feeling I get when I’m walking a pack and they’re all in pack mode, following calmly, peacefully, happily.
- I love being able to help dogs and their owners who are sometimes feeling really desperate and, whether they knew it or not, in need of exactly what we offer.
9. What is the secret to your businesses success?
Passion and dedication. I’m not a salesman. I never pressure anyone into signing up for our services and we don’t lock clients in to any contracts. Our clients use us as they need us and we find that they stick with us because we love what we do, we work hard at it, and we’re damn good at it.
10. What do you love most about the Saratoga/Upstate NY area?
Saratoga is awesome because it has everything that I look for in a city. From great restaurants, shopping, and nightlife, to hiking trails and lakes, to history and tourist attractions, to the overall cleanliness, upkeep, and public spaces..it’s great but I especially love how dog friendly the city is!
11. Is there anything else you would like to share about your business?
The biggest thing I’d like dog owners to know is that all dogs have physical and mental needs. We know that every one of our dogs has a great home and a loving family who want nothing but the best for them but sometimes work, family, friends, and other responsibilities limit how much time they can actually spend with their dogs. We like to think that we offer our clients an extended family for their dogs, so they can have a healthier, happier, and more balanced pup!
Consultations are free and we are now accepting new dogs! Call Tim Pink 518-390-8613.